Sunday, October 05, 2008

Year Three: Revenge of the Rock

Man, oh man, am i ready to get the hell out of Montréal.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love this city. I love just about everything about living here: the cafés, the bookstores, the adorable hipsters with their elaborate scarves. I love my tree-lined street and the way it's been raining golden leaves onto the sidewalk for days. And i love, love, love the theatre.

I'm just not that wild about being unemployed. And that's been going on for a while now. And i'm getting a little restless. There's always acting to be done, and that's great; i've been meeting theatre-type people and film-type people and other struggling actor-type people. But at some point you actually have to earn money, which means taking the kind of job i left Saint John a year ago to get away from. The kind of job i'm no good at. The kind of job i worked at here until earlier this summer.

Allow me to take a moment to apologize to anyone whom i may have told my job was going great earlier this year. That was a lie. I hated that job. Hated it. Largely because i sucked at it, which was probably why they let me go, and why i didn't mind leaving.

Then someone reminded me that i once had a job i was good at, and really liked. Then they told me i could come do it again. Back to the East Coast, and the little dream job that first inspired this blog two years ago.

So, tomorrow afternoon, i board a plane for St. John's, Newfoundland (via Toronto: apparently to fly from anywhere in Canada to anywhere else in Canada, you have to go through Pearson. It's a law or something.), where i'll be spending the next three weeks rehearsing a short play aimed at informing the youth of today of the risks associated with compulsive gambling. The same short play, in fact, as we did last year, which i assume means i'll be playng the same character.

One other cast-member from last year is returning this year, as well as Soundman v2.0, who was with us last year as well. So, two new castmates, whom we'll meet on Tuesday, when we begin rehearsals. We spend three weeks in St. John's, and then we hit the road, travelling across Newfoundland, Labrador, P.E.I., and New Brunswick.

I'm going to try to update this thing regularly (just in case anyone's actually reading it) with stories of where i am, and what's going on there. And maybe photos, if i'm feeling really ambitious.

In about twenty-four hours, i'll be leaving for the airport. I should probably go pack, or something.

Coffee and autumn leaves.
I hope they have this kind of stuff in Newfoundland.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I'm consistently in awe of people who are able to feed themselves by doing their art. You go, girl.

*snub*

3:37 PM, October 05, 2008  
Blogger alex said...

Holy crap, that's some fast commentin'. How'd you even know this was here?
..oh, and thanks.
And *snub*.

3:39 PM, October 05, 2008  
Blogger Mary said...

Through the magic of RSS! :)

11:55 AM, October 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home